‘Diversity shouldn’t be a gap that needs to be filled but should be a culture and practice for all’.
As the Diverse 5050 campaign, our target is diverse and equal representation and leadership in the Senedd and throughout the political structure of Wales. Our vision is to see more Black, Asian, and ethnic minority women, LGBTQ+ women, and disabled women represented in the leadership and representation structure in Wales – a Senedd reflective of the whole Welsh population. We are calling for:
- Electoral reform that will deliver an enlarged Senedd;
- Legally-binding integrated diversity and gender quotas;
- A Senedd elected by the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system.
Diversity is who we are, where we grew up surrounded by different faces, voices, experiences, and languages. True development and progress happen only where diverse minds are. Together let’s show the world how true representation should be done. We want to see decision-making in Wales thoroughly informed by the perspectives and lived experiences of people with intersecting identities to produce better policy outcomes for all.
Diverse5050 campaign partners:
- WEN Wales (Women’s Equality Network)
- ERS Cymru (Electoral Reform Society)
- EYST Wales (Ethnic Minorities & Youth Support Team Wales)
- Race Council Cymru
PRESS RELEASE: WEN Wales welcomes diversity recommendations in ‘Senedd Reform Next Steps’ report
Diverse5050 campaign letter to Welsh party leaders.
WEN Wales submitted evidence to the Committee.
WEN Wales briefing on effectiveness and impact on quotas.